HOW THE OHIO UTILITIES PROTECTION SERVICE -- OHIO 811 WORKS
Calling before you dig is important. Not only for safety reasons, but also because IT'S THE LAW! Here is a basic, step-by-step explanation of how OHIO 811 helps keep families and communities safe.
- A homeowner, excavator, or contractor contacts OHIO 811 at 8-1-1 or 1-800-362-2764, at least 48 hours but no more than 10 working days (excluding weekends and legal holidays) before excavating with his or her digging request.
- After asking some questions about the area in which you plan to dig, including the address, nearest cross streets and extent of work to be done, the OHIO 811 Customer Service Representative notifies members who own and operate underground facilities in that area. Once your request is completed, you will be given a ticket number. Keep that number as a reference number relating to your specific excavation.
- Representatives from these member companies have 48 hours (excluding weekends and legal holidays) to come to the location to mark their underground facilities. Some registered companies may require that you contact them directly, an OHIO 811 Customer Service Representative will provide you with that information.
- Preserve and protect the markings and then dig with care. Be sure to use hand tools to expose the marked utility.
*Please note that the Ohio Revised Code defines "excavator" as "the person or persons responsible for making the actual excavation" (ORC Sec. 3781.25 (K)). Therefore, while OHIO 811 will not refuse a ticket from any caller, we advise the actual excavator place the call to OHIO 811, receive their own ticket number and wait the required 48 hours in order to be compliant with Ohio law.
Some examples of an excavation include, but are not limited to:
- Digging holes for fence posts or a mailbox
- Anchoring supports for decks and swing sets
- Planting trees
- Removing tree roots
- Driving landscaping stakes into the grpund
- Installing a retainer wall
- Remember, even if your digging project is small, it's always best to call!
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND SERVICES AVAILABLE THROUGH OHIO 811, VISIT THEIR WEBSITE AT WWW.OHIO811.ORG.